Sunday 3 January 2016

Multi camera project

I have been given the task of creating a multi camera project for web distribution. My project can be of anything as long as I use multiple cameras. For my idea I am going to film a project I am already involved in. This project involves filming local bands perform live music. I am filming this for a youtube channel however I can take one of my recordings and use it for this assignment as I film myself and edit myself.

https://www.facebook.com/NorthGroupFilms/timeline


This is a Facebook page for my project. It has information on the different artists we have already filmed.

This is my schedule for my assignment. The graph shows that I am starting by generating ideas which I have already done. I have also already assigned the roles I need as we all already have roles in this project I participate in. I may still need to find a performer if we do not manage to get anyone in to perform where we usually do. I might have to go out of my way to get someone new. The location we use is always the same and we can easily book it out. The rest of my plans revolve around the shoot itself. I feel I have given myself plenty of time with getting this done and I even have some back up time so hopefully I won't have any trouble with getting this done on time if  follow my schedule.


My role in this assignment will be as a camera man and editor. In production, I will have to control one of the multiple cameras and film the band or singer while they perform. They often perform multiple songs which means I have a few options of what I want to use in my final assignment. After filming the live music I will have to then edit it. This is important because I will need to mix the multiple camera's footage together to make it more interesting and look better in general. One continuous shot will look boring.

I have visited the location multiple times as this is something I do quite often. From visiting the location I know which exact building I will be using. The building in use is a barn however it has been renovated so that people can host events in there. It has a lot of decorations inside which make it a bit more exciting and it even has it's own bar.



These are images of my location. They show the outside and the decorations on the inside. I think using this location gives our video something special which other live music recordings don't have. This is because most sessions are filmed in a studio which is bland and boring. I think because this is different, it will stand out more and get more views.

Before filming my project, I have discussed with the other team members how we will go about filming it to get the best outcome. In this meeting, we decided which equipment we will use. This was an easy decision as we have completed projects like this many times so we have not changed what we are using. We are however going to use the selection of lenses that are available to us. The lenses give us better images as the focus on them is an improvement to the standard black magic lens. There is also a fish eye lens which gives a more interesting shot. We are going to use this fish eye lens for the close up shots and the other two lenses will be used for the wide shots. The audio equipment will be supplied by the crew members from the music tech department. They are taking care of booking that out. The equipment that I must book out is as follows:

  • 3x Black Magic Pocket Camera
  • 2x Tripod
  • 1x Steadycam
  • 1x Lens Box

We decided that it is best to have two cameras on tripods getting long shots at different angles. The other camera will be on the steadycam and will move around the subject. We are having three different cameras so there is a range of shots to be used and also when the steadycam changes positions we can quickly switch to a different camera's view so there is no shakiness and we keep focus on the subject.

In this meeting we were also made aware of what we were filming. We are filming a singer named J.P Rigall. He is a solo artist and will be performing with no backup. This means we can use all three cameras on him. This gives us a lot of options when filming because we can get him at all angles and give the viewers a good image of him and his style. This is important as we are also trying to promote this singer.

Before I can film, I must complete a risk assessment. This is to ensure that everyone is safe when filming. If I find a big hazard then I will have to cancel the shoot. This is my final risk assessment:








After completing the necessary documents, I have filmed my multi camera project. The next step for me is to edit it. I will need to mix the 3 different camera shots in with each other and colour correct it all.

One of the tools available on premiere pro is being able to edit in a multi camera format. I can view all three of my shots play at the same time and queue them in when I want them to be viewed. This is a much quicker and more efficient method when editing as I can get a good basic video edit straight away. I can change it around afterwards if it is not good enough.

Now I have all my clips in the correct sequence I am going to colour correct it. The black magic cameras give a dull image so I need to brighten up the shots I have.

This screenshot shows some of the colour correcting tools I have used on my video. They are: Luma Curve, Three Way Colour Corrector and Fast Colour Corrector. By using these I can adjust the brightness, saturation and add some more colour to the video. This makes it look like a respectful video which I can now upload for people to see.




This is my final video after being uploaded to Vimeo. This shoot went well in my opinion as there were not many problems that we had to face. One small problem that we did face was background noise. The room we filmed in is attached to a kitchen and there were some sounds coming from in there. This was easily overcome however as we moved our equipment further down the room away from the kitchen and shut all doors and windows that were letting sound in. This kept background noise to a minimum which meant the singing was not interrupted.


No comments:

Post a Comment