Friday 22 May 2015

Stop Motion assignment

Stop Motion Assignment

There are many different forms of stop motion that i could choose from to make my own animation. One of my preferred methods of animating is model based. This is a stop motion animation that uses different types of models to create a story. The models are often materials like clay and plastercine however any 3D object can be classed as a model.




This is a model based animation used making clay, claymation. In the video there are different clay created characters. The characters change colour due to what appears to be an infection which is also displayed using clay. The background to the animation is just a table. This shows that the animation has just been filmed there and there was no green screen or background.


In this video there is a different type of model being used to make the animation. The models used are lego. This is a good model to use as they are easy to adjust and can be taken to pieces for convenience. In this animation we see a set of police characters chase some criminal characters.


In my own animation I think I will carry out a similar idea to this. I will create a short animation using lego pieces. My animation is only going to be short and as I am not experienced with stop motion, my own animation will be simple. I will most likely get a few lego figures and make them walk them up and down. To do this i will make them move ever so slightly and then take a picture. I will keep doing this until I have around 15 seconds of animation.


My next step is to create my animation. To do this I am going to have to get a Hue webcam to plug in to the computer and multiple lego people and pieces. I already have iStopMotion 3 installed into my computer which is the program I will use to record my animation. I am just going to set up the animation on my desk as it will not take up much room and by doing this I can have everything i need around me.  The college have provided me with a handful of lego pieces.

I have went out and recorded my stop motion animation. In my animation I have made two lego characters walk up a set of lego bricks. The quality of the animation is not as good as it could have been however it still fits the criteria of the brief. To improve I could have taken a bit more time when moving the figures and aimed to get better shots.

I am now going to add in a set of titles to my animation. I have added one at the beginning and the end. The one at the beginning reads, 'Lego animation' and the one at the end reads 'By Daniel Appleton'.  To add in these I have exported my animation and have put it on to Premiere Pro.




After I have done this I am then going to add in some sound effects. I have already got a sound effect of someone running however it fits in nicely for when my characters are walking forward. Now I have put my animation on premiere pro it is easy for me to add in the sound effects.




This shows I have added in my sound effects. Each sound is the same effect but I have just split it and cropped it so that it fits in with the animation and is played at the right times.


Now I have added in sound i have completed my animation. I am now going to export it and submit it.


Now I have finished my animation I can watch it over to see what I did well and where I can improve it. I think the best part about my animation was the sound effect. It was only the one sound effect however it seemed to fit in well with the animation. It was all in time with what was going on. To improve my animation I think I could have took more time on it and made the overall product look nicer. The camera was quite shaky and some of the pieces didn't stay in the same place. Also the outcome did not look of a very good quality. This could have been improved if I had added in some alternative lighting.

I have requested that the rest of my class give me feedback on my animation. I have uploaded my video on a padlet page and have shared it with everyone else.

http://padlet.com/danielappleton9/j3f3nv6s0gwx

This is the link to my padlet. As shown in the screenshot there has been multiple comments from other people which gives me feedback on my animation. Some of the comments I received did not add up and I realised that I had not uploaded the correct version of the animation. The version I had uploaded was one without sound or titles which explains why some of the comments mention I lack these things. Some of the comments give me feedback on things other than the sound and titles. Some of them say that the lighting could have been improved to make it look more professional.



This is a comment on the lighting made in padlet.

The lighting does seem to flicker as there was no set piece of lighting so as the lights that surrounded the set changed, the appearance of the animation changed.


 Another improvement that was pointed out was that I could have made more of a story. This is reasonable as all the characters do is walk so it is not very interesting to watch.


If I were to change my animation from this feedback I would place an external light source by my animating set to stop it flickering so much and give it a better quality. I would also try and change the animations story line so it is not so boring. I could make the characters run and jump over obstacles.


In this screenshot I have put 2 different shots from my animation. It is not clear to see however the lighting is different in both of them. If you look at the far left of each picture it shows that the shot on the left is slightly lighter.


I don't think I will make these changes because to make them I would have to redo the whole thing again. Also my animation fits all the requirements that was set out for me, even if it is poor quality and really boring. For this reason I don't think that there are any major things I need to change in my animation and I will get away with how it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment